This easy slow cooker pulled pork recipe is a healthier version of the classic barbecue pulled pork. It is made without any highly processsed ingredients and uses just a few simple seasonings to create a smoky, BBQ flavour.
Many pulled pork recipes contain sugar as an actual ingredient or have bottled sauces which are loaded with sugar, or both! This healthy version has all the flavour without the white stuff.
Begin the recipe the night before by making a dry rub and massaging it well into the meat. Leave overnight for the flavour to really intensify.
Next morning add the remaining ingredients and turn on the slow cooker.
Come home to amazing aromas and a delicious meal ready to eat. It’s also good for batch cooking as it makes scrumptious lunches and freezes well – if it lasts that long!
Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 1.5 – 2 kg piece of pork shoulder or neck
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 diced tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- The night before:
- Mix the herbs (except the bay leaves), spices, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Rub and massage this mixture all over the meat, rubbing really well into the fatty
bits to get all those delicious flavours in.
- Place the pork into the slow cooker insert then into the fridge at least 2 hours, but
preferably overnight to really develop the flavour.
- In the morning:
- Place insert into slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours.
- When it’s cooked, take the pork out and use two forks to shred and pull apart the meat. Put
the shreds back into the slow cooker and leave it to heat through with the sauce for a further 30 minutes uncovered on High.
- And there you have it – easy and delicious pulled pork. Enjoy.