Who doesn’t love a delicious thick and creamy berry smoothie? The problem with many smoothies and shakes is that they contain dairy, sugar and juice and so are not really healthy.
Instead, these quick and easy Paleo berry smoothie recipes are dairy-free, sugar-free and made with whole fruit and vegetables for maximum nutrition.
This post may contain compensated links. Find more info in my disclaimer.
If you’re in a hurry, mix up a berry smoothie for breakfast. Pour into a suitable container and take it with you, it will keep you going all morning. The recipes also make a great snack, post-workout drink or dessert.
Tips for smoothie-making Paleo style:
- Use frozen berries and fruit instead of ice as the ice will dilute the flavour.
- Keep a supply of slightly overripe bananas in the freezer ready for quick smoothies. Peel the bananas first, then freeze them whole or cut into pieces.
- Add some protein source such as Paleo-friendly protein powder, chia seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds or gelatine, especially if you are using the smoothie as a meal replacement.
- Blend in some healthy fat such as coconut milk or oil, avocado or nut butter because a Paleo meal needs to include some healthy fat. This also helps you to feel full for longer, thus avoiding any temptation to eat unhealthy snacks when the hunger sets in!
- Focusing your fruit-based smoothies on lower-sugar fruits such as berries is a healthier option than using the higher-sugar fruits. Try adding spinach or other greens instead of more fruit.
- Using a high quality blender will give you a better texture in your smoothies and the nutritional value is not depleted due to heat transfer when the blender runs too long.
Whether you like your berry smoothie with almond milk, coconut milk, added fruit or vegetables, here’s some fantastic and healthy Paleo smoothie recipes using berries.
Paleo Blueberry Coconut Smoothie
Blueberries are one of the most nutrient-dense of all the berries, containing substantial amounts of vitamins C and K, manganese and fibre. Meanwhile, coconut is one of the few foods which can be genuinely labelled a ‘super-food’. Whiz up this naturally sweet and nutritious blueberry coconut smoothie for a quick breakfast or an easy on-the-go snack! Made with blueberries, shredded coconut and coconut milk, the vibrant blue and purple colour means it’s also packed with antioxidants.
Find the recipe at The Merrymaker Sisters
Triple Berry Smoothie
As the name suggests, this thick, refreshing smoothie is packed with three kinds of berries (strawberries, blueberries and raspberries) plus banana and almond milk. This quick berry smoothie recipe is easy to make, has only 5 ingredients, is antioxidant-rich and is Paleo, vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free.
Find the recipe at Beaming Baker
Paleo Strawberry Coconut Smoothie
This strawberry and coconut smoothie tastes like spring in a glass. The sweetness comes from strawberries and banana, the creaminess comes from coconut milk and so it’s sweet and creamy with no added sugar or dairy. It’s Paleo and AIP friendly, dairy-free, gluten-free and there are vegetarian and vegan options provided.
Find the recipe at Cook Eat Paleo
Anti-Inflammatory Blueberry Smoothie
Berries and leafy green vegetables such as spinach and kale are some of the best anti-inflammatory foods around. Here’s a berry smoothie with spinach, blueberries, strawberries, flaxseed meal and water or almond milk blended together. These ingredients make a serious inflammation-fighting and detoxifying smoothie. It’s Paleo, Keto and Whole30 approved and vegan.
Find the recipe at Tasty Thin
The secret ingredient in this delicious creamy raspberry smoothie is avocado. Always a favourite Paleo ingredient, avocado is high in healthy, beneficial fats and fibre and very nutrient-dense. When included in a smoothie it adds an amazing creamy texture. Banana, raspberries, strawberries and coconut milk are blended with avocado in this dairy-free, sugar-free, Paleo and API friendly smoothie.
Find the recipe at 50 Shades of Avocado
Chocolate Avocado Strawberry Smoothie
A decadent chocolate and berry smoothie with the added goodness of avocado. The strawberries and chocolate give it flavour while the avocado is there mainly for the texture. Rather than being intended as a breakfast smoothie, this creamy treat is ideal to enjoy after dinner as a healthy dessert. It’s made with strawberries, avocado, cocoa powder, and almond or coconut milk.
Find the recipe at Paleo Leap